November 6, 2017
Car-Buying Checklist: Your Guide to Prepared Shopping
Whether you plan on leasing or buying a new car, it’s a big decision. We designed a simple guide to help put you at ease during the car-buying journey. However, if you’re still trying to figure out the best time to buy or even how much you can afford, we can help you narrow it down.
View our car-buying checklist below to prepare, or download the printable version for your records.
DO YOUR RESEARCH
Think about what kind of vehicle will serve you now and three to five years down the road.
- Visit shopcarsnow.com to browse GM vehicles
- Find what fits your lifestyle
- Find a GM dealer
CHOOSE YOUR FEATURES
Add-ons and upgrades allow you personalize your vehicle.
- Review trim levels and add-ons
- Prioritize desired features
- Try out key features at the dealership
CALCULATE YOUR VEHICLE BUDGET
As you get ready to lease or buy a new car, truck or SUV,
don’t forget to estimate the cost of the following:
- Down payment (if applicable)
- Monthly payment
- Gas, tolls, parking
- Regular maintenance
DECIDE WHETHER TO LEASE OR BUY
Both financing options have their benefits, and the “right”
choice depends on your situation and preferences.
You might consider LEASING if you …
You might consider BUYING if you …
- Drive a predictable amount of miles.
- Enjoy driving the latest model every few years.
- Prefer a lower monthly payment.
- Don’t want to worry about mileage limits.
- Aren’t concerned about fixing every scratch or dent.
- Like the idea of owning your vehicle free and clear
after you fulfill your finance contract.
APPLY FOR FINANCING
VISIT THE DEALERSHIP
Now that you know what you want and how you’ll
pay for it, it’s time to see your new car in person.
- Gather your driver’s license and proof of insurance.
- Test-drive the vehicles you’re interested in.
- Talk to your dealer about next steps.
PICK UP YOUR CAR
Are you ready to take that dream car home?
- Remember your down payment, prequalified financing
letter (if applicable) and insurance card.
- You may also need proof of employment, residency and income.
- Got a trade-in? Don’t forget the title, registration, keys,
account information and owner’s manual.